Sunday, August 4, 2019

Day 5 - Halifax, Nova Scotia


Today I traveled from Prince Edward Island to the province of Nova Scotia. There really isn't a whole lot to say about the drive ... there was nothing particularly interesting or remarkable about it.

My original plan was to spend some time in the city of Halifax walking around and exploring. I had heard about a place called Peggy's Cove, a seaside village about 20-30 miles outside of the city. It was supposed to have some art galleries and that sort of thing ... it sounded like a “tourist trap”, but I figured why not ... I had plenty of time. When I arrived at Peggy's Cove, unfortunately, the whole area was shrouded in fog, so there wasn't a whole lot to see. The village was exactly what you'd expect from a small seaside fishing village, complete with lighthouse, small shops, and little houses scattered about the rocks. I spent a little time walking around, and then decided to head back to Halifax.

The only thing I knew about Halifax before I arrived was that there was an old citadel overlooking the bay. When I arrived, I found a place to park and started exploring. The first thing to note about Halifax is that it's VERY hilly. I walked around the citadel but I didn't bother to go in. Then I walked down the hill to the bay. There was a “harbor walk” along the bay with shops and vendors. There really isn't much else to say about the city, at least from what I saw of it. After a while, it was starting to get a little late, and I decided to head back to my car to drive to my campground for the night, which was about 30 minutes outside the city.

Unfortunately, traffic in Halifax is really brutal, and it took my close to an hour to get to the campground. When I arrived, it was time to do some laundry. After that, I followed the usual process of setting up my tent, eating dinner, and then I did some reading.

I planned to get on the road early tomorrow morning for the long drive to Cape Breton National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment