Sunday, August 4, 2019

Day 7 - Cape Breton National Park to St. John's, Newfoundland


Today's plan was to drive from Cape Breton National Park to North Sidney, Nova Scotia. I would be taking an overnight ferry from North Sidney to Argentia, Newfoundland, which is near St. John's, Newfoundland. The drive was only about 90 minutes, so I had originally planned to spend some time walking around in Sidney, Nova Scotia.

When I woke up, it was such a beautiful morning, that I decided to drive the Cabot Trail again, this time in the reverse direction, so that I'd get to see it on a nice day. I hiked the Skyline Trail again as well, and then, after that, drove to North Sideny. I arrived in plenty of time for the ferry.

The ferry turned out to be a fascinating experience. It left at 5:45 pm local time, and was scheduled to arrive at 9:30 am the next morning. It was like a mini cruise ship. There were lots of cabins, and one deck was dedicated to restaurants, bars, game rooms, shops and a lounge. There was even a singer in the lounge. I hadn't booked a cabin for myself, so I had to find an “air seat”. There were a few options, but I ultimately settled on a “quiet” room of what were very similar to airline seats, only a bit bigger and slightly more comfortable. I found an empty seat and left some of my belongings on it to “reserve” it. Apparently, this was the standard approach to choosing your seat for the night.

After that I went back to the “main” deck to see about something to eat. None of the restaurant options really appealed to me, and I wasn't all that hungry anyway, so I decided to just get a couple of VERY over-priced beers and I ate a Clif bar that I had brought on board with me. I did some reading and then decided to call it a night.

Tomorrow morning, I would be waking up in Newfoundland!

No comments:

Post a Comment