Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Day 3 - Fundy National Park


The plan for today was to spend the day hiking and biking in Fundy National Park. Based on the information I had been given at the visitors center yesterday afternoon, I decided to ride the Goose River Trail first. According to the park guidebook, this was an 11.85 km trail that followed the coast line South of the park. It was rated as a “difficult” trail.

As it turned out, the rating was a little understated! The trail had a lot of very steep sections and hairpin switchback turns. The good news, was that it was VERY smooth, with an almost gravel like based for most of the way. I had to walk the bike up a lot of the steeper sections, but at the end of it all, it was good ride, an excellent workout, and I was glad I did it.

After that, I needed a little time to recover so I ate lunch and planned the next part of my day. I decided to do the very short, and beginner rated Ship Haven Trail, which led to a covered bridge. I figured this would be a good way to get myself going again.

After that, it was time for another hike, this time on an “intermediate” rated trail. The trail was a 4.5 km loop that led to a point overlooking the bay called Matthews Head (of course there was no way I could pass this up). The hike turned out to be a little more difficult than I expected, but that was probably because I was already pretty tired from the bike ride. After that, I debated heading back to the campground for a shower, but there was really one more bike ride that I had really wanted to do on the intermediate rated Black Horse Trail. It was only 4.5 km long, and with an intermediate rating, I figured it might not be too difficult, even though I was really tired from the earlier part of the day. As it turned out, the trail was perfect ... exactly what I had been hoping for. It was a nice, easy and fun ride, and it only took me about 25 minutes.

I headed back to the campground and grabbed a much needed shower. After that, I got in the car and headed into the small nearby town of Alma, New Brunswick. There was a local brewery, so I stopped into for a beer. Then, it was back to the campground for dinner.

Tomorrow, I'll be leaving New Brunswick and traveling to Prince Edward Island National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment