Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Day 2 - Acadia National Park to Fundy National Park


Day 2 of my journey had me traveling from my campground outside of Acadia National Park to Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, Canada. Along the way, I'd be passing by St. John, New Brunswick, so the plan was to stop there and do a little sight-seeing.

I woke up, made some breakfast, and broke down my tent. The drive through Maine to the Canadian border was all on a single lane highway that wound its way through the Maine wilderness. It really reminded me of driving through the Adirondacks, only with smaller mountains!

I reached the Canadian border and went right through the Canadian immigration and customs check-point. I arrived in St. John about an hour or so later. There's not really a whole lot to see and do in St. John, at least as far as I could find out. One of the biggest tourist attractions is the “reversing falls”. The tides here are very extreme, and there's a river that ends at the bay. When the tide is at low tide, a waterfall is created where the river meets the bay. As the tide comes back in, it appears as though the waterfall is flowing in reverse. I had arrived during a low tide cycle, so I didn't get to see the water flowing in reverse. There was a nice walkway from the reversing falls along the harbor into the downtown area, so I decided to take that walk. As mentioned, there really wasn't very much to see.

Before leaving St. John to head for Fundy National Park, there was one important thing I had to do. St. John is the home of Moosehead breweries, so of course I had to pay a visit for a beer. Unfortunately, since it was Sunday, they didn't offer tours, so I had a beer and then hit the road.

I arrived in Fundy National Park at around 5:00. The visitors center was still open, so I went inside to get some recommendations for some bike rides and/or hikes for the next day.

After that, I went to the campground, got all set up, made some dinner and went to bed. Tomorrow's going to be a busy day of hiking and biking!

No comments:

Post a Comment